India Uncovered
Last year when I heard that Mangu mama, Lakhi mami, Wally kaka, Bhani kaki, Roopa and Nilesh were going to be in India I booked my flights straight away. With a 7 week trip back home in March I could only afford (in terms of leave) to go for 9 days. It was just what the doctor ordered to get away from this hell of a winter and the bout of gastro (great way to lose weight quickly - pity it was all liquid which was put back on in India)
Highlights:
- The driver driving on the opposite side of the highway with his lights on full, dodging the trucks coming the other way so we could avoid the massive queues at the toll booths. Pretty freaky but it saved us over an hour each way.
- Actually getting to see Lakhu kaka at the half way point at 3.30am on the way back to the airport. How random is that!
- Roops and her love for the cute flea ridden, skinny puppies.
- Nilesh and his snoring and other peeps and their bodily functions. Still cracks me up.
- Getting to hang with kaka and kaki in Tavdi watching our house being built.
- Wally kaka and I sitting outside having a beer (with kaki having hers inside).
- Hanging in Bhulafadia with mama and mami again!
- THE FOOD: everything. In particular the tali store in Chikli ( Nils ate 18 rotis - I think I had 10), the vege Manchurian, Chilli paneer and the nans. The patties from Bhiku bhais and everyones cooking esp Lukhi mamis and Nilesh’s mamis! Oh and the sweet sweet cha. Why does is taste so good there?
- Hanging with Roops and Nils. Long time overdue.
- The singing hobo outside our house who mama made sing 3 songs so he got his money’s worth. He also got a tomato from the travelling vege man. He then proceeded to tell Roopa that she had a curse on her. Some words later, a bit of black string (from the torch), and him sucking something out of his hand (which was placed over Roops and some water) and 30 rupees later it was lifted (hopefully Roops has kept it in her pocket for a week).
- Getting to watch in the pitch black the workers dancing and singing into the wee hours of the night. The only light was from the passing bikes. Amazing to see the enjoyment people can get out of nothing but your body, your voice, a wooden flute and a plastic drum. They danced for hours!
- Ambi ben asking if my Birkenstocks were made out of tyres.
- Roops – she is the queen of Bhulafadia. Everyone loves her! Hansa loves Saroja as well. Esp how she would have conversations with everyone and not know what she was saying. Cute Saroj!
- Seeing our house being built in Tavdi.
- The dog that actually barked like a chicken!
- The hello kitty wall paper at the wedding we had to go to.
- Seeing pillow cases that we made when we were 10! Gotta love the tri cem pens!
- The swinging chairs....heaven!
Not so great:
- Creepy guy on the plane back home (who wanted to lift the arm rest and watch the same movie on my screen??!!).
- Sore stomach happening on and off.
- We only managed one run (but better than nothing).
- The 30 odd bites I got on my legs and arms and face. I looked lovely with all the lotion on me.
- Me trying to talk and understand Gujarati. I wish I was fluent.
- The Independence Day concert in Tavdi that lasted from 9am to half 2 with no breaks. I was busting to go the toilet too!
- Sari shopping but the tali’s were worth it!
- Only being there for 9 days
1 comment:
I WANNA EAT SOME OF THE FOOD!!!
shall we go back to India next week??
Post a Comment